China Blog 2011
Sally Ross Travels China
10/25/11My slides (Canon film camera) from those months will provide a fascinating contrast, I think, to my new work (Nikon D7000 digital).
I will be traveling in China for a month. Follow this website for updates. During the first 16 days, I’ll travel with a group of dear friends from Georgia. Then I take off, mostly for train travel, on my own.
Below you will find a list of the places I expect to experience with my camera:
• Beijing, including revisiting the Great Wall, Ming Tombs, Tian An Men Square and Forbidden City, Summer Palace
• Shanghai area—a new world for me. Including Pudong, Wuzhen, West Lake, Nanjing, WuXi, Suzhou
• Zhangjiajie National Park, described as “majestic, eccentric, tranquil, delicate and wild. It features grotesque peaks, abundant fauna and flora. The Valley of Golden Whip Stream has been praised as “the most beautiful valley in the world.” We’ll see if it compares to the Highlands ?
• Tianzi Mountain Nature Reserve where James Cameron was inspired to create settings for Avatar
Then on my own, I’ll head to…
• Guilin, including Li River cruise, Yangshuo, Reed Flute Caves, Elephant Trunk Hill and Fubo Hill.
• Xian, including Terra Cotta Warriors, Banpo Neolithic Museum and Shaanxi Provincial Museum, Ancient City Wall, Big Wild Goose Pagoda, Bell Tower and Grand Mosque. As well as visiting Shaanxi Normal University where I taught in 1987
• Dunhuang, emphasizing Mogao Grottoes, Sounding Dune and Crescent Spring, Dunhuang Museum